Romeo and Juliet



There I was, a senior in the design and technology program at Western Michigan University. A yard and a half of incredibly expensive upholstery fabric specially ordered from New York City. A young and ambitious me decided to try to pattern match every vertical seam. Typically, a yard and a half would be plenty in creating a modern waistcoat, but not this time. I placed out my pattern pieces every which way to make sure I could successfully achieve the standard I created for myself. 
After double checking, carful cutting, and basting, my matching was just as intended. 
I made a handful of things for this show including a velvet silk spencer, the red Juliet dresses (double cast), and fall front breaches. By far, the waistcoat is what I thought challenged me the most and what I was the most proud of. 


The actor I had created the waistcoat and fall front breaches for wore it very well. He understood the dedication that went into his costume. The waistcoat was really just the cherry on top of what he had already created in rehearsal. 



Produced by Western Michigan University
Scenography by Kathryn Wagner
Lighting by Evan Carlson


Comments

Popular Posts